George Weston is a member of our Corporate practice group and advises on all aspects of BVI corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, takeovers downstream private equity investments, joint ventures, public and private share offerings, capital raisings and corporate reorganisations. Although he works with clients in a wide range of industry sectors across the globe, George has particular expertise working with leading law firms and private equity investors on cross-border corporate acquisitions and joint ventures with a technology or real estate element, and is a leading member of our hospitality sector group.
George joined us in 2015, having previously spent seven years in the London office of Paul Hastings, where he worked on a number of high profile corporate transactions. While there, he also undertook a secondment at JP Morgan Chase.
George's recent experience includes:
- Representing DXC Technology Company (NYSE: DXC) on its US$2 billion merger acquisition of Luxoft (NYSE: LXFT), the largest ever takeover of a publicly listed BVI company by transaction value.
- Acting as BVI legal counsel on the January 2016 merger of third-party logistics companies UTi Worldwide Inc and DSV in a $1.2 billion public takeover of a listed BVI company.
- Advising a BVI incorporated e-commerce firm on its sale for approximately $600 million.
- Representing the existing owner of a hotel chain on the disposal of majority ownership (through the issue of notes convertible into 51% of its shares) to create a BVI joint venture with a potential value of more than $1.2 billion.
- Advising Hyatt Hotels Corporation, the internationally renowned hotel chain, on the BVI aspects of its takeover of Two Roads Hospitality for $480 million.
- Advised the global private investment firm Starwood Capital Group on BVI aspects of its US$250 million strategic investment in the hotel chain YOTEL.
- Advising LeniGas Cuba Limited on its reverse takeover of Knowlton Capital Inc by way of a BVI scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Road Town Wholesale Trading Ltd, a BVI-based retail and wholesale conglomerate, on the acquisition of 76.1 per cent of its issued shares by a wholly owned subsidiary of The North West Company Inc for a purchase price of approximately $32 million. The deal is believed to be the largest-ever M&A transaction involving a company operating and trading domestically in the BVI.
- Advised Hyatt Hotels Corporation in relation to the acquisition of preferred shares (and related joint venture arrangements) in a BVI company owning a major hotel and resort in Latin America in a transaction valued at more than $100 million.
- Representing an investor on a series of portfolio investments and divestments of UK property held through BVI companies and related financing arrangements for a total value of more than GBP 200 million.
- Advised Delta Technologies Holdings Limited, a NASDAQ listed BVI company, on BVI aspects of its 2018 issuance and placing of up to $50 million in ordinary shares, preferred shares, warrants and units.
- Represented Polaris Infrastructure Inc., a Toronto-based company engaged in the operation, acquisition and development of renewable energy projects in Latin America, on its acquisition of 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of Union Energy Group Corp., which is incorporated in the BVI.
George is recognised as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in the British Virgin Islands Corporate and Commercial rankings.Legal 500, 2019
George is ranked as a “rising star”.IFLR 1000, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- College of Law of England & Wales (LPC)
- Southampton Solent University (GDL)
- University of Southampton (BA)